What is DUPHALAC ORAL?
Duphalac Oral Solution contains Lactulose which is used to treat constipation. It may help to increase the number of bowel movements per day and the number of days you have a bowel movement. It works by increasing stool water content followed by softening of stool. It is not absorbed into your body.
Lactulose is a synthetic (man-made) sugar. It breaks down in your large intestine and then draws water into the intestine. This softens your stool, which helps ease constipation. Lactulose is also used to treat high ammonia levels in the blood due to liver disease. High ammonia levels can lead to portal-systemic encephalopathy. This drug works by drawing ammonia from your blood into your large intestine. Your large intestine then removes the ammonia through your stool.
Duphalac Oral Solution comes as a sweet syrup that you can swallow. It can be taken with or without food. There are no restrictions on what you can eat or drink. You can mix Duphalac oral solution with fruit juice or water. It is recommended that you drink plenty of fluids (approximately 6-8 glasses throughout the day) while taking this oral solution. Duphalac Oral Solution takes 2 to 3 days to start working.
Key Composition of Duphalac oral solution:
Therapeutic uses of Duphalac oral solution:
- Hepatic encephalopathy (a liver disease causing confusion, tremor, decreased level of consciousness)
- High amount of ammonium in the blood
Side effects of Duphalac oral solution:
- wind (farting and burping)
- feeling sick
- being sick (vomiting)
- stomach pain
- severe diarrhoea or vomiting
- muscle cramps or weakness
- irregular heartbeat
How to manage side effects:
Drink lots of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration. Reducing your dose of lactulose may also help diarrhoea. Do not take any other medicines to treat diarrhoea without speaking to doctor.
Take lactulose between meals instead of before or after them.
Try to rest and relax. You can also eat and drink slowly or have smaller and more frequent meals. Putting a heat pad or covered hot water bottle on your stomach may also help. If you are in a lot of pain, speak to your doctor.
- Take this medicine once or twice a day, with or without food using a spoon or measuring cup.
- You can mix it with fruit juice, water or milk if required.
- Swallow the dose immediately.
- Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to lactulose.
- This medicine can be taken by pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Do not give this medicine to a child under the age of 14 years unless your doctor has said so.
- Consult your doctor before taking this medicine, if you have lactose intolerance (problem in lactose digestion), galactosemia (a rare health problem where the body cannot process galactose) or diabetes.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines you use, including prescription and non-prescription medicines and herbal supplements.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store at temperature below 25°C.
- Do not freeze.
Can Duphalac oral solution cause flatulence?
Yes. This medicine may cause flatulence in some individuals, although not everybody gets them. Eat smaller and more frequent meals, eat and drink slowly, and exercise regularly. If the symptoms get worse, contact your doctor straight away.
Can Duphalac oral solution be taken during pregnancy?
Yes. This medicine is considered safe for use by pregnant women. It is advised to consult your doctor before taking.
Can Duphalac oral solution be taken by children?
No. This medicine is not recommended for use in children or infants unless prescribed by a doctor.